Auto insurance protects you against financial loss in the event of an accident. It is a contract between you and the insurance company stating that you agree to pay the premium and the insurance company agrees to pay your losses, as defined in your policy.
What does auto insurance coverage provide?
- Property coverage – Pays for the damage to or theft of your car
- Liability coverage – Pays for your legal responsibility to others for bodily injury and/or property damage
- Medical coverage – Pays for the cost of treating injuries, rehabilitation, lost wages and funeral expenses
Why do you need auto insurance?
- In order to protect yourself financially. If you’re in an accident or your car is stolen, it often costs a lot of money to fix or replace it
- If you or any passengers are injured in an accident, medical costs can be extremely expensive
- If you or your car is responsible for damage or injury to others, you may be sued for much more than you’re worth
- Many states require you to have at least some coverage
How long does a policy last?
- Most are for six months or a year. Your insurance company should notify you via e-mail or standard mail when it’s time to renew the policy and to pay your premium
What’s the role of my Independent Agent?
Your Independent Agent is an advocate for finding auto insurance that meets your specific needs. Here are a few things to consider as you prepare for the discussion:
- How much can you afford to pay if you get in an accident? (To keep premiums low, you may want to have a higher deductible and be willing to pay more for repairs)
- What is the insurance company’s level of service and ability to pay claims?
- What discounts are available? (Ask about good driver, multiple policies and student discounts)
- What’s the procedure for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim)
Looking for coverage? Click here to submit a quote for quick, accurate and affordable rates.