Homeowners insurance provides financial protection against disasters. A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it.
What are the aspects of homeowners insurance?
- As a package policy, homeowners insurance covers both damage to your property and your liability or legal responsibility for any injuries and/or property damage you or members of your family cause to other people
- Damage caused by household pets is also covered
- Damage caused by most disasters is covered, however there are exceptions. For example, most significant damages are caused by floods, earthquakes and poor maintenance. You must buy two separate policies for flood and earthquake coverage. Additionally, maintenance-related problems are the homeowners’ responsibility
Why do you need homeowners insurance?
- It’s the most secure way of protecting yourself against unexpected damages to your home or possessions. Chances are, your home is one of your largest investments and it would be extremely costly to repair or replace
- If a guest in your home is injured, liability protection and medical coverage help pay expenses
- If you are a victim of theft and/or vandalism, it can reimburse you for your loss or pay for repairs
- If you are still paying for your home, your lender will require insurance
Will my Independent Agent be able to answer questions specific to my needs?
Yes, consulting with your Independent Agent ensures you have the information you need in order to start a policy that fits your budget and lifestyle. It is important to know that homeowners insurance is meant to cover unexpected damage, not routine maintenance. Ask your agent to explain what is covered and be sure to read your policy so you know exactly what’s included and what is not. Here are a few things to discuss with your agent that will influence your decision:
- How much will it cost to rebuild my house and replace my belongings if they are damaged or destroyed? (Ask your agent to talk you through your home’s features and the things you own so you can make an informed decision about coverage)
- Does the insurance company have a good reputation for customer service? Is it known for paying claims fairly and promptly?
- What discounts are available? (Ask about multiple policies, security systems and fire resistance discounts)
- What’s the process for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim)
Looking for coverage? Click here to submit a quote for quick, accurate and affordable rates.